Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2007-Jun-21 15:29:00
Subject:Re: quick reminder

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: quick reminder Landis 2007-Jun-21 15:29:00
>On 21/06/2007, at 4:58 PM, Wheaton, Simon wrote:
>>   in Australia, the actual
>>  Solstice is on Friday 22nd June at 4:06am...
>>  'Time is fixed on Thursday, 21 June 2007 at 18:06:00 UTC time'
>>  'Canberra Fri 4:06 AM'
>>
>>  Shouldn't the shooting timeframe allow us to shoot a pano at the time
>>  that the actual Solstice occurs, which in my case it seems can not be
>>  done as the timeframe does not include June 22nd, when the Solstice
>>  actually occurs here?
>

>That is a very good point Simon, and I think needs clarification in
>the "rules". Are the specified times "local" times in which case the
>dates should have allowed for the capture of the Solstice and
>extended past it by at least 24 hrs to be safe for ALL time zones, or
>are they tied to UTC or Berkley ;-) time? In which case we (in Oz)
>still have our "tomorrow" ... until midnight on the 21st in London /
>Berkley whichever is the "official" time keeper ...
>
>Cheers,
>KathyW.

Kathy and Simon,

We do try to take into account the actual solstice/equinox in the
individual time zones.  We have also tried to take into account the
weekends among different cultures/countries.

Here I'm used to a Saturday/Sunday weekend.  Before the WWP I'd been
familiar with the Friday/Saturday weekend, but a Thursday/Friday
weekend was somewhat new to me.  We now try to make sure to include
the closest Thursday-Sunday plus the solstice/equinox for every event
in every time zone.  You'll also notice that although the editing
dates have a specified end date that most people usually get half-way
into the next day to keep going - due to time zones.  We elect to
give those in Hawaii the full day which gives those in Australia
almost one extra day.

As for shooting days and the solstice this year, Carl is right.  We
were originally looking at 21-24 June (Thurs-Sun, including the
solstice in all time zones) but moved it to include the previous
weekend when the conference came together and provided a great
community.  Sorry that the time zone thing fooled me when editing the
dates.

If anyone has any panoramas that fit the theme 'Community' just
perfect and were taken on the actual solstice day in your time zone -
or a solstice celebration with a community gathering this weekend,
I'm sure we would be happy to bend the 'rules' a bit.

-Landis