Sender:Uri Cogan
Date/Time:2008-May-28 00:38:00
Subject:Re: Re:Globorama: How big is the problem

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Re:Globorama: How big is the problem Uri Cogan 2008-May-28 00:38:00
Roberto Gomez Torres wrote:

> First I think we should remember that the WWP panorama project if
> formed by mainly two kinds of members.
> Hobbie panographers and professional ones, meaning by professionals the
> people that actually make a living from this art work.
>
> It's obvious that the most concerned and the friends leading the group on
> this topic are the members who make a living from VR photography.
> Many of our hobbie members are not posting, maybe do not care a lot
> and a simple apology by these Globorama people would be enough from them.

It's NOT obvious. This kind of division-making may not be helpful to
anyone. I resent the distinction that you make between the "hobbie"
members who you say "maybe do not care a lot" and the "professionals" -
meaning the commercial photographers among us who you label "most
concerned" and "leading the group".

The WWP project is not a commercial venture, so to put it simply, we are
all artists. I used to make my living for many years as a photographer,
now I do it for art sake only, does this make me a "hobbie"? what
arrogance! We all care about our art, and we all need to protect our
rights as creators.

> That will make it difficult to form a single unity.
> I am on the professionals list and a simple apology, excuse or kind
> letter
> will NOT be enough now for me.
> They used copyright material, without permission, used on a project with
> lots of money investment and in public spaces.
> I will ask for a GOOD money compensation

Many of the commercial professionals on this list are willing to allow
their work to be used, gratis, for an artistic or educational,
non-commercial use. The ZKM project appears to fit that description and
it could be worthy of our support, but they certainly made a major,
inexcusable and stupid mistake, using our work without permission, and
this should not be allowed at all, but I do not suspect they had any
criminal intent, or that they wanted to make money off our work.

Being vindictive, however and demanding "GOOD money compensation" reads
to me like an angry  desire to actually destroy them. If you want to try
to do that you are of course free to do so, but count me out.

> Do you agree on making a list of people who want to ask for
> compensation ? Or all of us will be on the same boat ?

I disagree. We are all on the same boat.