Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2008-May-30 11:56:00
Subject:Re: Non Profit or Subsidise

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Non Profit or Subsidise Erik Krause 2008-May-30 11:56:00
On Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:23, Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock wrote:

> I was just wondering, as many of you have already pointed out, ZKM has
> said that they are a non-profit company, please correct me if I am
> wrong, surely they must have costs: hiring of the equipment as well as
> paying salaries to the staff involved on the show, unless they like/own
> the company and like to work for the love of art.
> If they are not charging for the service, as they say, then they must
> be paying for it themselves, out of their own pocket; not a very
> sensible way for a company to behave, as in this day and age I don't
> think there is a company that will play with their own profit.
> Therefore they must be getting some form of sponsoring (payment) from
> other companies or they must be receiving money from the EU (European
> Comunity) whom are very good at dishing out money from the european tax
> payers.

This is not the question. There is a paragraph in german copyright
law which allows the usage and display of artists work (even without
their consent) if no profit is made and the entrance is free of
charge. However, the same paragraph states clearly that a reasonable
payment to the artist is required in this case...

best regards
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de