Sender:Serge Maandag
Date/Time:2009-Apr-15 20:47:00
Subject:Re: First edition of Diversity is online

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: First edition of Diversity is online Serge Maandag 2009-Apr-15 20:47:00
> There is a good HDR Tutorial by a real expert at:
> http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/
>
> I see his incredible images on Flicker and follow him on Twitter
> @TreyRatcliff

Thanks!

I hadn't seen this site before. Interesting stuff.

I tried to use his settings, but the first try is rather a disappointment.
I probably picked a terrible example. It had a lot of waving grass in it.
I'm going to force some more practice on myself on tone mapping.

My past experiences with tone mapping were that it was labour and time
intensive. Also, I am a bit allergic to haloing and excessive use of local
contrast. Some take it so far that the image looks almost like a surreal
oil painting. While Treys tutorial image turns out nice, I feel his single
raw file extractions suffer from those very artifacts:
<http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2006/06/06/hdr-tutorial-part-3/>

Meanwhile at least Don seems to master the tone mapping. Also, Jeffrey
Martin did show me some great single raw file extraction panoramas via pm.
It's probably just a "golden fingers" thing :)

Serge.