Sender:DeVill
Date/Time:2010-Jan-21 11:38:00
Subject:Re: facebook petition to FREE YOUR CAMERA SOFTWARE

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: facebook petition to FREE YOUR CAMERA SOFTWARE DeVill 2010-Jan-21 11:38:00
I pretty much agree with Jeff! When I buy a camera, I buy the hardware, and
just like I can write programs for my PC, I'd like to write programs for my
camera too. But we have to admit, that the people willing to start
programing cameras would be a limited amount of people. (It's like with
linux: it's way better than windows, but you have to learn using it, so most
people decide to stay with windows.)

Honestly I think we would be better of starting an open source project, that
disassembles firmwares, and creates an alternative firmware that is
compatible with all of the cameras. It is somewhat illegal, but since only a
limited amount of people would use it, I doubt that camera manufactures
would go into the trouble of tracking down these people. Especially because
it would not cause them significant profit loss. NB.: CHDK is an underground
project like that, but not "cross platfom", and the success of that shows
that the concept could work.

If there was enough interest in the photographer comunity for a project like
that I would be willing to start a found raising, and find the necessary
programes for the project, but I'm not sure how to find out if there was
interest in a project like this.