Sender:Sacha Griffin
Date/Time:2013-Sep-29 12:51:00
Subject:Re: WWP testing uploaded panorama - viewed in new page ERR

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: WWP testing uploaded panorama - viewed in new page ERR Sacha Griffin 2013-Sep-29 12:51:00
That should fix windows 8 and windows phones. I ran into this a month ago.
I used a .htaccess file to set the XML headers which is easy because it
affects all subdirectories.

Sacha Griffin
Southern Digital Solutions LLC  - Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.seeit360.com
http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
IM: #removed#
Office: 404-551-4275

On Sep 29, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Yahoo Account <#removed#> wrote:

Good News! I've found the cause of the XML error, and fixed it as far as
possible.

That's another two hours I'll never get back that I'll blame on Internet
Explorer 10 (after that time at work where this supposedly superior
standards-compliant IE10 caused things to break that have been working
flawlessly for more than half a decade ... :-(  (and on top of that, due to
an IE10 bug that Microsoft knew about for several months prior to
presenting it to the public).

Basically, IE10 (and only IE10) decided that the XML file describing the
panorama for the krpano player was "really more of a kind of HTML after
all, if one looks at it a certain way", and so IE10 "fixed" it before
handing it over to krpano. And by "fixed it", of course I mean "broke it".
IE10 dumped lots of extra tags into it, at all the wrong places.

I added an extra declaration of "this is XML" at the beginning of all the
krpano templates, and another code with "no, really, this IS XML" to all
places in the server code where the data is sent to the visitor's browser.
This made IE 10 shift the failure from the first XML file (which contains
the specifics of each panorama) to the second file that contains the
default values for all panoramas and is included from the first file
(shared common stuff like e.g. "show a progress bar", "use these keys for
keyboard control", "use that projection" ...). So instead of "fail at
yourpano.xml", now I had "fail at basics.xml".

Mind you, this only affects IE10, and this new secondary failure only
affected IE10 when there was no Flash player installed (i.e. if it was
supposed to use its HTML5/WebGL player). All the others (chrome, firefox,
safari, on mac+pc) never even flinched ever since we switched from "QT
only" to "mixed options".

So I caved in to IE10's demands and copied the common part into each and
every template file. Now IE10 doesn't have to request a second file, and
it's happy and displays the panorama even if there's no flash plugin
available.

-Markus

P.S.: The embedded Flash plugin came as a surprise for me. I have a vanilla
Windows 7 32-bit with IE10 as an update from IE9 as test setup, and out of
the box it had no extra add-ons (save for Bing search). I had to install
Flash11 manually.

  ------------------------------
Still at 360texas.com

---In #removed#, <#removed#> wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking into that. Caroling also earlier reported an error with a
similar message, as did Bostjan.

There are interestingly two different reasons for this error.

The error that happened on your contribution was most likely because the
uploaded image was not processed yet, as right now I can preview the page
without error message (both with Quicktime and Flash). There is usually a
"zero to 20" minute delay after uploading because the conversion is run by
a timer.

The errors Caroling and Bostjan were seeing happened due to some panoramas
prior to 12/2008 not being compatible with krpano. The system has a list of
those, and *should* have forced the use of the Quicktime plugin instead of
the flash plugin. When I last updated the javascript, that mode was
accidentally disabled, and I missed the problem because the test cases I
used didn't have that special set of circumstances.

I have updated the regular server with a fix for this behavior, but I still
need to back-port that code to the preparation server.

Any other strange behaviors or error messages? Send a note, and I'll look
into it.

-Markus

P.S.: to Caroling: The update also fixed your "Duo-Tet" Object's strange
behavior between Flash and Quicktime display, which was caused by the same
"not switching to QT when it's the only option" bug. Sorry I took so long
to find a fix. :-(