Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2004-Jul-29 17:42:00
Subject:Re: ? Can Tito use any of the WHS images taken at the WWP ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: ? Can Tito use any of the WHS images taken at the WWP ? G. Donald Bain 2004-Jul-29 17:42:00
Andy makes some good points. Let me clarify.

Marco has been given permission to host thumbnail images of both events
on the FullScreenQTVR site, which will link to the panoramas at their
permanent home on GeoImages. I believe he is starting work on this
soon.

Tito said at one point that he would be glad to link to WH sites on the
WWP, but we have not discussed details.

I have no direct contact with UNESCO.

Let me assure everyone - the copyright to your images is safe. There
can be no legal use of them beyond their present hosting on the
Geo-Images site unless you personally and explicitly grant that right.

News and review sites (and publications), however, can use small
portions of copyright materials without permission, what is known as
"fair use". There is no clear-cut definition of how far this can go.
Personally I think a screenshot or thumbnail would be fine, but if they
want to re-host an entire panorama they need permission from the
photographer.

As to suggestions for a cooperative or other democratic model for the
WWP -- sorry, it has to remain a benevolent dictatorship if it is to
continue as we started. I am responsible to my employer for the way in
which the project is conducted and how the server is being used. I
welcome discussion, but at the end of the day I am the one who has to
decide.

There may at some point be questions of appropriate content, which I
will have to evaluate, based on university policies. Luckily for us all
this is a famously liberal environment -- the Free Speech Movement of
1964 etc.

Clearly prohibited on university servers are commercial use, copyright
infringement, hate-related material, and computer security hazards. I
would like also to set some limits on sexual content, so we can freely
publicize this site to schools at all levels.

I hope everyone is comfortable with these policies. I think they will
contribute to a safe, sustainable, long-lived project.

Don