Sender:northwest_omnipresence
Date/Time:2005-Sep-26 03:37:00
Subject:Re: help! my file is too large

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: help! my file is too large northwest_omnipresence 2005-Sep-26 03:37:00
--- In #removed#, "Erik Krause" <#removed#> wrote:
> Am Friday, September 23, 2005 um 22:28 schrieb
northwest_omnipresence:

> > Help! My QTVR MOV file is too large and when i try to make it
smaller
> > the resolution of the image degrades past the point of perverse
> > embarrassment. I have only focused on JAVA methods of VR for
> > cylindrical photos and now I dont know a thing about converting
> > QuickTime files without losing resoltion (much).
> >
> > Please point me in the direction you have undoubtedly pointed
other
> > newbies in. I am obliged.
>
> What tools do you use? Which version (fullscreen or small) is too
> large? What size are your equirect source images (if you have).
>
> If you use Pano2qtvr or panocube to convert from equirect to cubic
> follow the suggestion you get on the submission info page:
> http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp/Practical/Sizes.html
>
> For fullscreen your equirect should have a maximum of 6000x3000
> (better 5000x2500) pixels, for small version about 3200x1600...
>
> best regards
> --
> Erik Krause
> Offenburger Str. 33
> 79108 Freiburg

Erik,

I use the stitch software tool which came with my nikon coolpix
camera. It is called Panorama Maker and it is made by ArcSoft. I
have been printing some of my favorite panos in a 36"x9" format and
I found a fantastic VR-Tour package which uses Java - what I mean to
say is I have not familiarized myself with QTVR tools since my hobby
didnt demand it of me until I saw this event. The ArcSoft package
has an export function that creates a quicktime MOV file, but I have
no control over the dimensions of the conversion in the process. In
order to make the MOV fit the size restriction I had to resize each
individual source photo and restitch the degraded quality images and
export that to a new MOV at a tenth of its original size. Looks
great at 10 mb. Not so great at 2 mb. I have the source photos
still. I have the original panorama still.

In my brief searches for other pano tools (software/hardware) I
usually found that anything dealing with QTVR was a little cost
prohibitive.

I see that pano2qtvr has a free demo version but I dont know if this
qualifies as a professional use or an amature use - in terms of
their licensing fee.

I like that PanoCube features a drag and drop utility, however it
requires Helmut Dersch's Panorama tools
http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/ which I had encountered
before but dismissed it since it looked a little too demanding to
get involved with.

Are these the only two resources available for converting jpgs into
quicktime MOV's? At the Apple website, the QTVR authoring suite is a
bit pricy at 400-500 dollars simply to participate in this global
project.