Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2005-Sep-26 17:51:00
Subject:about Java

wwp@yahoogroups.com: about Java G. Donald Bain 2005-Sep-26 17:51:00
On Sep 26, 2005, at 5:38 AM, northwest_omnipresence wrote:
> the only detriment to using Java versus QTVR seems to be the lack of
> a "full-screen" view. As far as plug ins go, Java seems to be
> installed on more computers as a factory default setting than
> QuickTime.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that "java is java". There are
three groups of versions - the old versions from before Microsoft
meddled with it, the versions that Microsoft tampered with (now illegal
for them to distribute), and the current version, as released and
maintained by Sun.

Microsoft continues to undermine Java by including only the antiquated
version with Windows. If you want to use the current version you need
to download and install it. Unfortunately, many people still have the
illegal version, and much java code was written for that version. The
current Windows version is a 15.5 mb download (http://www.java.com).

Don't get me wrong, I think Java is a great idea. Software written for
the current version is a promising cross-platform solution for VR
display. But memory limitations currently don't allow fullscreen
display, and confusion over versions of Java creates problems for many
users.

Don