Sender:Roger D. Williams
Date/Time:2006-Oct-11 09:21:00
Subject:Re: Compositions and My Contribution

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Compositions and My Contribution Roger D. Williams 2006-Oct-11 09:21:00
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:47:57 +0900, Keith Martin <#removed#>
wrote:

> Sometime around 11/10/06 (at 16:57 +0900) Roger D. Williams said:
>
>> I am sure your view, which I may paraphrase as "anything goes
>> as long as the end result is good to look at" is undoubtedly the
>> majority
>> view. It still leaves me rather uncomfortable, though.
>
> Not as uncomfortable as me, sitting up here on both sides of the
> fence at the same time! :-)

No, I can see that. <g>

In my case, unhappiness with the necessary unreality of stitching
led me to concentrate on rotary cameras (well, one rotary and one
swing-lens) rather than stitching. I am happier with stitching
these days.

> I think there's a definite difference between created images and
> tweaked images, although I think there are probably some tweaked
> images which have had more done to them than some intentionally
> artificial images.
>
> However, I don't think that makes composited, artificial-scene
> panoramas any less worthy of interest and praise. I just hope that
> the creators are always prepared to say that's what they are. Unless
> they're making a concious and definite artistic statement through the
> process of fooling people!

I agree. My unhappiness with artificial scene panoramas is a feeling
that it's getting away from photography and into something else. I
too would appreciate open artistic statements of the nature of the
work. Then I could enjoy everything without a nagging suspicion that
it is all somehow synthetic.

Roger