Sender:Serge Maandag (yahoo)
Date/Time:2006-Oct-09 19:37:00
Subject:Re: Compositions and My Contribution

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Compositions and My Contribution Serge Maandag (yahoo) 2006-Oct-09 19:37:00
> Now that the Transportation shooting period is over,
> I would very much like to solicit opinions on composition
> techniques for shooting VRs.

As in ordinary photography, composition is so much harder than the
technical stuff in VR. For me at least..

Some things to consider:

- The zenith and nadir have a tendency to get really boring. If they have
something to show, that usually makes the panorama much more interesting.

- A beautiful landscape or a far view usually renders a boring 360x180
pano. Almost anything is on the horizon and things a bit further away tend
to get too small on the computer screen quickly

- Sunsets give beautiful light, that goes for panoramas too, but the
problem is that for half your pano you are shooting against the sun,
usually giving bad detail and contrast.

- In outdoor panos, high buildings do a magnificent job of filling up the
view

- For an extra bite, use depth. Make sure there are objects close to the
lens as well as far from the lens.

- And for real good panos, go the extra mile. Some I like very much are
the "tribute in light" pano by Jook with the guy looking up, pointing you
in the right direction. Also there is an amazing panorama of a fish
getting caught by a fisherman, somehow shot at 10cm from the fish (sorry,
I don't have a link right now..). The first one just works out right or
was very cleverly composited. The second one is a technical masterpiece.

Numerous others come to mind to which a don't have links here either :(

Serge.