Sender:John Ryan
Date/Time:2005-Jun-13 16:50:00
Subject:Re: just a week to go

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: just a week to go John Ryan 2005-Jun-13 16:50:00
Don,

I will be in Austria at the weekend, and will not be back in London (i.e. near a computer) until the 7th July, is a late entry possible?

John

"G. Donald Bain" <#removed#> wrote:
A moonbow is light refracted through water droplets, just like a
rainbow. I have seen moonbows in Yosemite Valley, at the base of the
waterfalls under a full moon. They appear white, which could be because
of the spectral composition of moonlight. Or it could be because under
low light conditions our retinas only use the "rod" receptors, which
sense light intensity only, and not the "cone" receptors, which see
color.

Time zones are based on longitude, and longitude originates in
Greenwich, just east of London. Each time zone has a three letter
abbreviation - such as PST and PDT (Pacific Standard Time, Pacific
Daylight Time). Greenwich is GMT, the 120 year old designation
Greenwich Mean Time.

But military and aviation users also use letters of the alphabet for
time zone names and abbreviations. Running east from Greenwich they are
A, B, C, etc (but no J). For clear understanding when spoken they use
Alpha, Bravo, Charley, etc. Greenwich ends up as Z, or Zulu.

The things a geographer must know...

Don

On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:12 AM, Caroling Geary wrote:

> What is "Zulu time"? Universal?
>
> A moon-bow would be caused by water vapor, therefore within the theme,
> right?
>
> On Jun 9, 2005, at 12:53 PM, G. Donald Bain wrote:
>>  the Solstice (at
>> precisely 06:46 Zulu time). ...
>> This year it is also a full moon. Ever seen a moon-bow? Like a
>> rainbow,
>> but by moonlight -
> --
> Caroling http://www.wholeo.net/