Sender:John Spikowski
Date/Time:2006-Oct-19 16:55:00
Subject:RE: How about... a more productive thread: WWP enhancements for 07?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: RE: How about... a more productive thread: WWP enhancements for 07? John Spikowski 2006-Oct-19 16:55:00
> Actually, I wrote all of that except the CIA Factbook part!
>
> FWIW, the CIA Factbook is pretty much just an almanac of
> information about each country on earth - there's nothing
> scary about it. Basic stats on population, political system,
> economy, climate, etc. I'm not sure I quite see where it fits
> in with WWP (I mean, obviously we are a geo-oriented project,
> just wondering where in the interface it might be useful?),
> but I also don't think it's nearly as scary as the name
> sounds - it's just a great source of factual data about all
> recognized (and a few unofficially
> recognized) nation-states.

Thanks Roger for clearing that up. The World Fact Book is a public domain
information base and if you decide to use the info, you MUST strip out the
CIA logo and anything else relating to the CIA. I wrote a program to extract
just the fact pages (generic) and flag library. Everything is 'keyed' on a
two character country code. Nothing scary here as Roger mentioned.

I would be happy to donate my time and the work already done to add this the
WWP if this sounds like something Berkeley Geo project would like to
incorporate.

John