Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2007-Jan-02 22:48:00
Subject:RE: Comments (was Re: WWP Late Edit and Final Push - 360+?)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: RE: Comments (was Re: WWP Late Edit and Final Push - 360+?) Roger Howard 2007-Jan-02 22:48:00
On Tue, January 2, 2007 2:17 pm, John Fellers wrote:
>>We really don't want to turn this into a competition and/or popularity
> contest.
>

> I totally agree with this and have total respect for you, Don and Markus
> (and anyone else) who keep up the WWP. Feedback forms of the type you have
> mentioned are a double-edged sword and could possibly intimidate beginers.

And I fully agree as well; I certainly don't want WWP to become a contest,
that would conflict with the spirit of the project IMHO. However, I find
photography in general, and panography especially, to evoke lots of
questions from people, and it would be nice to have a mechanism for
hosting those conversations in a way that was linked to the works
themselves. Right now we put stuff out there, but never get the feedback
from the audience due to the nature of the presentation.

I think YouTube is much less a precedent for us - we're not even a
rounding error's worth of traffic in comparison - than photo sites like
PBase, where most comments are friendly, or at least constructive. There
are easy ways to combat comment spam, and as for hostile posts, well I
think that's something best dealt with if it becomes a problem. We
shouldn't start by assuming a significant portion of traffic will be
hostile - if it becomes so, we can shut down the forums if it's bad enough
and declare it a failed experiment with little lost in the process.

-R