Sender:pedro_silva58
Date/Time:2007-Jan-11 01:42:00
Subject:Re: Late Edits Complete - we passed 360!

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Late Edits Complete - we passed 360! pedro_silva58 2007-Jan-11 01:42:00
--- In #removed#, yuval levy <yuval_levy@...> wrote:
> > On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:08 PM, yuval levy wrote:
>
> The average for common websites is 6 pageviews, but
> there is big variation, hence my interest for the
> median and the standard deviation as well. If the
> median is too far away from the average then it is
> likely that there are at least two clusters of
> different users out there. In this case: those with
> QuickTime and those without.

how do you figure that?  could it be that the distribution is unimodal
but skewed?  it seems to me, if you want to infer stuff about the
distribution, it would be better to have a histogram (and even that
alone will not tell us anything about what causes its features).
until then, we might perhaps refrain from trying to guess from summary
stats, or using them to give statistical status to personal prejudices.

cheers,
pedro