Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2007-Mar-26 20:39:00
Subject:Re: specific thumbnail image ... Adler Planetarium Pano

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: specific thumbnail image ... Adler Planetarium Pano Keith Martin 2007-Mar-26 20:39:00
Sometime around 26/3/07 (at 18:40 +0000) Victor said:

>perhaps the silence was just the sound of
>heads being banged like I did!

Well, I did spend a while thinking about it and getting nowhere. But
in the end I shot something I've been meaning to do for a few months:
my local barber shop, in action with hair on the floor and all. It is
a small place; a long bench on one wall for people waiting, and two
great 1950s barber's chairs and the usual stuff opposite. There's odd
wood panelling on the walls, faded old photos pinned up, Johnny (the
owner) and his colleague busy giving a couple of 'short back and
sides', and a customer waiting with a rather perturbed expression on
his face.

For me, very atmospheric. And very timely; the very next day after I
did the shot the panelling was taken down and the walls replastered!
I'll be shooting a followup or two to show how the shop remodelling
goes. I took my MacBook in to show Johnny earlier today. He loved it,
but it made him want his panelling back again!

I haven't made a preview page for it and I'm still choosing which
shots to use for the final stitch, but there's a low-res one at
http://www.thehelpful.com/barber.mov

Not so experimental as some of the things I'm sure we'll see, but
like I said, it feels gently atmospheric to me.

(And incidentally, I've found that going to this kind of small local
barber shop when I'm in different parts of the world is a *great* way
to get a real feel for a place. I've done this in small towns in
North Carolina, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Berlin and elsewhere, and it
is always a gas and an eye-opener. My favourite was the biker barber
in a small town near Asheville, NC. We got chatting about bikes and
roads and touring and stuff for absolutely ages.)