Sender:Caroling Geary
Date/Time:2007-Mar-26 22:45:00
Subject:Re: specific thumbnail image ... Adler Planetarium Pano

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: specific thumbnail image ... Adler Planetarium Pano Caroling Geary 2007-Mar-26 22:45:00
Too bad we don't yet have "scratch and sniff" icons, so we could
smell the barbershop lotions.

i was going to do a sky panorama, but we had a week of mostly empty
skies. Also the pedestrian bridge where I was going to stand is not
finished.

Meanwhile I became very interested in local plants, several kinds of
Reindeer Moss. Learned that it is endangered (or some sort of
Reindeer Moss is) and as a lichen, it lives on, not in the earth,
having no roots, and depends on air and light for sustenance. Plus it
is unusually vulnerable to air and radiation pollution.

No problem getting a wide-angle pano of an area. In fact it is the
only pano I've done in the 10 years I've been trying, where I
couldn't find a single stitching error. But the views are too distant
to see the structure of the plants. So I tried the 50mm lens, with
the tripod close to the ground and the camera at a 30 degree angle.
The 24 shots around are beautiful. Perfect. Just what I wanted.

However, I learned of the problem of "atmosphere" - it changes. So
shot 1 and shot 24 are opposite in patterns of light and dark. I
don't know how much is the movement of overhead foliage, passing
clouds, or simply the earth turning. That will take awhile to blend.
Or should I? Do I want to fake it? Haven't decided on a solution. I
could put a border between start and finish and label them that way.
With the exact time to give a feeling for the changing light over time.

Not to speak of the 20 stitching errors. Rather than try to master
the lens/angle/pano head/software issues, I decided to paint in some
atmosphere, like fingers of airy light. It is taking a very long time.

Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net