Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2004-Jul-08 18:20:00
Subject:Re: Give Landis a break

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Give Landis a break Roger Howard 2004-Jul-08 18:20:00
On Jul 8, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Loren Price wrote:

> I think we all need to take a holiday until Sept and give Landis a
> break so he can work on billable hours instead of free hours.  He has
> bills and a Kat to feed.
>
> Its not to say that someone else could do something similar.  But
> keep in mind the amount of time that it takes to do something like
> people are proposing, is actually a lot more than you think.
>
> In regards to what happened to the Wrinkle, its the same thing Landis
> might face if we don't give him and Don a break from action...
> burnout.  That's what happened to Rab after the Wrinkle 2.  He hasn't
> been heard from in a long time.

I agree Don and Landis, and everyone else on the backend, put a lot of
work into this and I'm extremely grateful for that - but I think they
will agree that things can be better automated, so the process scales
better - less manual time spent formatting data, prepping pages,
pulling thumbnails, etc. I've volunteered to work on build a content
management workflow for this publishing process, and will reiterate it
here. Ideally - and not unrealistically - there should be virtually no
per-pano work by the backend team, with a proper content management
framework.

I wouldn't propose anything that would consume more of the time of our
gracious hosts. In fact, I'd like to help make things easier, so in
fact we (or others) can be motivated by the desire to provide content,
and not restricted by technical obstacles. As I think I mentioned in my
first post on the subject, the only real constraints should be server
capacity and bandwidth (and of course participants).

Something to think on -

-R