Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2004-Jul-08 19:45:00
Subject:Re: Give Landis a break

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Give Landis a break Landis 2004-Jul-08 19:45:00
>I think we all need to take a holiday until Sept and give Landis a
>break so he can work on billable hours instead of free hours.  He has
>bills and a Kat to feed.

Wow, step out of the room for a minute and ....  :)

I really appreciate that many of you are excited to make this an
on-going thing.  I also think that Aldo has some very valid concerns
that need to be taken into consideration if we do keep going.

Don and I have kept it very ambiguous as to whether there will be
another 'official' one or not, and I regret that I can't provide a
certain answer at this point.  Don is on a trip - and, quite likely,
out of the country at this point - and this is something that both of
us would need to discuss.  One of the biggest costs in something like
this is the server space and bandwidth.

There's no reason to think that we can't do another one, but we will
need a little while before we we can make an announcement for sure.

If we do continue, I'll definitely be looking into a little more of a
streamlined work flow from the site-assembly side of things.  KathyW
has definitely gotten me started on the right track, and I've emailed
with Roger Howard about other ways to make things easier and faster.

I think we've got a good foot-hold and we could grow this into
something great.  But I also remember when I went sky-diving for the
first time.  It cost somewhere around $200 (which is still a lot of
money to me).  When I finished that first jump I was so pumped I was
ready to plop down the credit card to spend money I didn't have just
to do it again, NOW.  I think we need to let the adrenaline rush
subside, take a look at this clearly and think about both the pros
and the cons of what's being proposed.

For now, feel free to discuss ideas.  But I don't think you'll hear
anything 'official' from Don or myself until August.

For the record, I love putting this together even if it does take my
time.  I just need to catch up on some other stuff right now.

Thanks for your participation, enthusiasm, and support.

-Landis