Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2004-Jul-08 20:41:00
Subject:Re: Give Landis a break

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Give Landis a break Roger Howard 2004-Jul-08 20:41:00
On Jul 8, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Landis wrote:

>> I think we all need to take a holiday until Sept and give Landis a
>> break so he can work on billable hours instead of free hours.  He has
>> bills and a Kat to feed.
>

> Wow, step out of the room for a minute and ....  :)
>
> I really appreciate that many of you are excited to make this an
> on-going thing.  I also think that Aldo has some very valid concerns
> that need to be taken into consideration if we do keep going.
>
> Don and I have kept it very ambiguous as to whether there will be
> another 'official' one or not, and I regret that I can't provide a
> certain answer at this point.  Don is on a trip - and, quite likely,
> out of the country at this point - and this is something that both of
> us would need to discuss.  One of the biggest costs in something like
> this is the server space and bandwidth.
>
> There's no reason to think that we can't do another one, but we will
> need a little while before we we can make an announcement for sure.
>
> If we do continue, I'll definitely be looking into a little more of a
> streamlined work flow from the site-assembly side of things.  KathyW
> has definitely gotten me started on the right track, and I've emailed
> with Roger Howard about other ways to make things easier and faster.
>
> I think we've got a good foot-hold and we could grow this into
> something great.  But I also remember when I went sky-diving for the
> first time.  It cost somewhere around $200 (which is still a lot of
> money to me).  When I finished that first jump I was so pumped I was
> ready to plop down the credit card to spend money I didn't have just
> to do it again, NOW.  I think we need to let the adrenaline rush
> subside, take a look at this clearly and think about both the pros
> and the cons of what's being proposed.
>
> For now, feel free to discuss ideas.  But I don't think you'll hear
> anything 'official' from Don or myself until August.

I would much rather discuss ideas, and not get hung up for now on
uncertain limitations - that's something I was hoping to get across. At
this point I'm not demanding anything of anyone's time other than a
little chat if you're interested in kicking ideas around. We have a
huge group here, probably quite a few technical folks in the mix, and
I'm confident that if we come up with an idea based on principles we
all take a liking to, we can come up with technical solutions to solve
any problems.

Thanks again folks, lots of great photographers here, lots of great
content; I certainly don't want to burn anyone out - that was not my
intention with this thread - but rather find a way to keep pushing to
maintain some momentum, some mindshare, and hopefully promote this
medium far and wide. To my thinking, a well-known project with a
semi-regular publish schedule, but something new enough each time to
draw press and new users, would be an incredible centerpiece for the
larger community.

-R