Sender:George Row
Date/Time:2008-Jul-01 11:16:00
Subject:Re: stats for discussion

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: stats for discussion George Row 2008-Jul-01 11:16:00
Hi Folks,

I agree that:
  a) we don't need a competition
and yet
  b) we WWP participants are in need of feedback

I suggest that we (well the folks who organise the
webserver for WWP) add Google Analytics to the code
for the site as soon as possible. It is fairly easy to
add.

That way the statistics will start to be collected and
we have the option to give some sort of access in
future, whether it is a summary, or full access, or
private stats visible only to the panographer via the
development site, could be decided later.  Adding a
mechanism for logging the stats is the first step.

The extent of the future feedback could depend on who
is prepared to work on it.  I suspect that there are
lots of people  around WWP with sufficient interest in
the numbers to be prepared to dedicate some time to
analysing the logged data and somehow making the
results  available.

I think it would be good for WWP because there are
people who would be motivated to participate in future
events by such feedback about past events and also
because we (both as a group and individually) may find
out interesting things that reveal patterns of use,
sources of web traffic and how we might better promote
the WWP in future.

all the best

George

--- Bernhard Vogl <#removed#> wrote:
> I can replay the thoughts of Bjorn.
> I know that the "stats" topic has been discussed
> several times and i agree that the WWP shouldn't be
> a cometetion, however...
>
> ...The "black hole" is also the reason why i lost
> interest from time to time. Feedback is an essential
> part of one's (my) personal evolution as a
> photographer and this part is completely missing in
> the WWP event. It's like preparing an exhibition
> where you are forbidden to visit the opening and
> read any news article about it.
>
> No numbers needed, no content ranking, but i'd like
> to know:
> - how many visitors roughly visit the wwp pages
> hundrets, thousands, more, less?
> - where do they come from (continent, country)?
> - how did they discover the wpp. Links?, which?
> (interesting to read the referrers) or did they find
> the content through keywords?
> - do they just visit one page and leave or are they
> captivated by the panoramas? How long do they
> explore a panorama?
>
> I'm pretty sure there are several of us who burst
> from curiousity  ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Bernhard

Not happy with your email address?.