Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2008-Jul-01 15:24:00
Subject:Re: stats for discussion

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: stats for discussion Landis 2008-Jul-01 15:24:00
>I suggest that we (well the folks who organise the webserver for
>WWP) add Google Analytics to the code for the site as soon as
>possible. It is fairly easy to add.
>
>That way the statistics will start to be collected and we have the
>option to give some sort of access in future, whether it is a
>summary, or full access, or private stats visible only to the
>panographer via the development site, could be decided later. Adding
>a mechanism for logging the stats is the first step.
>
>The extent of the future feedback could depend on who is prepared to
>work on it. I suspect that there are lots of people around WWP with
>sufficient interest in the numbers to be prepared to dedicate some
>time to analysing the logged data and somehow making the results
>available.

STATS

As has been pointed out, we've had the Google Analytics code on the
WWP for several events now, but those of us currently on the Admin
team lack the time to dedicate to this aspect.

I think it's time we look for a volunteer to be the person to collect
and collate the stats in such a way that it would give meaningful
feedback to the group without making it into a competition to see who
could get more pageviews than anyone else.

If you have experience with Google Analytics, extra time on your
hands, and a willingness to work with the Admins on making the stats
into something that would be beneficial towards the project, please
email us off list: #removed#

RANKING/COMPETITION

There are plenty of sites out there that allow you to rank the best
and worst photos.  If you want to participate in those, please do.
There is no restriction on what you can do with your panoramas with
regards to publishing them on the WWP and elsewhere.  As mentioned
previously, the IVRPA is having a contest right now and I would
encourage anyone who may be interested to enter:
http://ivrpa.org/news/2008-jun-25_ivrpa_contest_2008

COMMENTS

Comments is something that we'll continue to look into.  There are
both benefits and detriments to allowing comments on the WWP.  One of
the main detriments is the kind of comments that we see on sites like
YouTube (inane, pointless, often vulgar, and sometimes extremely
offensive).  Policing the comments is going to be a full time job and
one that none of the current Admins are willing or interested in
taking on.  Another problem is simply the addition of comments onto
the site as it's currently constructed (a static website).  This is
something that we intend to consider in the (hopefully
not-too-distant) future as we take on some changes behind the scenes.

But for right now, any volunteers to help with the stats please send
us an email <#removed#>

-Landis