Sender:Yahoo Account
Date/Time:2009-Jun-28 20:44:00
Subject:Re: how can I change angle and direction of my uploaded panorama?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: how can I change angle and direction of my uploaded panorama? Yahoo Account 2009-Jun-28 20:44:00

You're not alone with this preference. I wanted to do something like the "classic" QTVR thumbnail picker, where the data from the plugin is read via Javascript, but it turned out to be, well, let's say it's difficult with PanoSalado - or at least I'm having a hard time to find the answers for "how the browser Javascript talks with the plugin" in the PanoSalado documentation, and other issues were a bit higher on my to-do list...
A few other bugs/glitches surfaced, like the "zoom vs. tilt limit" behavior, which I've reported in the PanoSalado forum, and I'm sure these will be fixed/improved, but they currently are an unsolved problem for some contributions (well, except for the solution to upload the small/full QTVR and ignore the JPEG for now).

>>TRhis should be possible with panosalado as well. If not, why not ask
>>Klaus Reinfeld for a krpano license - usage on WWP would be nice
>>advertise for him and krpano not only reads QTVRs on it's own, it
>>also allows for progressive resolution (and hence doesn't have that
>>8192 pixel limit).

I've downloaded the krpano sample files yesterday, and I'm immensely impressed with both the performance and the "maturity" of the software. I've written to the company in regard to the license costs, too - as much as I like Open Source, I wouldn't mind to pay their one-time fee for a closed source product if it saves me a few headaches here & now. The nice thing about our mixed database+JPEG approach is that I can "swap" the underlying player engines rather easily as they continue to improve, as long as they offer the necessary basic features.

On the "back-end" part of the WWP, I've managed to automate the thumbnail builder for the JPEG-based panoramas. It's not a "great" solution yet, but it works reliably. I'd be grateful for anyone knowledgeable in the intricacies of Euler angle re-ordering to contact me off-list - I just need a nice and clean formula where I can put in "pan/tilt" from an equirectangular system and get a "tilt/pan/roll" set for PTmender to extract a tiny thumbnail from the source image. I'm currently using an intermediate panorama for "first-pan-then-tilt", but there must be a way to calculate these angles and do it in one step (with a 20-fold speed gain). Bear in mind it's twenty years since I last had to handle sine/cosine/tangens calculations, so I'm a bit rusty in that regard :)

-Markus