Sender:prague
Date/Time:2010-Jan-09 11:07:00
Subject:Re: amazing weather photo

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: amazing weather photo prague 2010-Jan-09 11:07:00
As I understand, that is definitely *not* how it should look. The Gulf Stream has currently taken a holiday, and this is what England would look like if it was not blessed with the Gulf Stream. Check the latitude of London - it's on the same latitude as some other VERY COLD places ;-) but as we know it's historically not a snowy place - rain, yes...

It has even been proposed that blond hair / blue eyes in humans comes from this part of the world (baltic/north sea area of europe) - it's the only place where it can get so dark in the winter, yet still be suitable for agriculture - due to the gulf stream. No other place in the world is like that. When humans switched to agriculture, their ingestion of vitamin D went WAY down in this part of the world, which made their skin pale. In other parts of the world they got enough vitamin D to stay dark.

You can google this theory - I read about it a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I summarized it mostly correctly. Very interesting whether or not it's true.

cheers,
Jeffrey