Sender:Helmut Schierer
Date/Time:2004-Oct-03 22:54:00
Subject:Re: Another GPS-driven world map

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Another GPS-driven world map Helmut Schierer 2004-Oct-03 22:54:00
Hi Markus,

looks really great. Another big step of presenting the world virtually. Looks
much better than the plain lines on the globe with the java-applet I used
(http://www.rundumadum.at/test/globe/globetest.html). I also like your
popup-windows with the thumbnails. Your map will be a great add-on to the
wwp-event!

Would like to be able to put your map on the globe like Shawn mentioned. Would
also solve the problem with close targets. So, when there will be time, would be
worth to have a look at that applet if its possible.

Cheers
Helmut

Markus Altendorff wrote:

> OK, so i couldn't resist, too:
>
> http://www.panoramas.de/panoramas/wwpmap/
>
> This one is based on the cloudless 40000x20000 pixel earth image
> (scaled down to 2000x1000) from the NASA blue marble project
> (website quote: "These images are freely available to educators,
> scientists, museums, and the public." - so i guess this is not
> any kind of copyright violation...)
>
> I used server-side PHP/MySQL to create CSS positioned animated
> dots of the panoramas, and Javascript to have previews show/hide
> side of the dots when the mouse pointer passes over a marker.
> This should work with any IE above 5 (couldn't test with earlier
> versions) and anything Mozilla/Netscape above Netscape 4.
>
> The database supports pre-filtering (currently the filter is
> hard-coded for "wwp904"). I've hacked the GPS coordinates from A
> to J into it, but got tired... ;-) will wait until the list is
> final, of course if the admins drop me a database readout, this
> would also help ;-). Currently, it's got a problem with targets
> very close to each other (i.e. if the markers land on top of each
> other, it only responds to the top-most one - should build a list
> of targets instead...)
>
> If anyone wants the code for it, i'm glad to offer it to anyone
> interested. There's nothing special to it, and it's badly
> annotated ;-)
>
> -Markus

www.rundumadum.at              Bilder f?r Leute mit Umsicht!

Helmut Schierer                #removed#
Heustadelgasse 1/33                       Tel: +43 1 2806854
1220 Wien, Austria                        Fax: +43 1 2801054