Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2004-Oct-03 23:45:00
Subject:Re: Another GPS-driven world map

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Another GPS-driven world map Markus Altendorff 2004-Oct-03 23:45:00
Helmut Schierer wrote:

> looks really great. Another big step of presenting the world virtually. Looks
> much better than the plain lines on the globe with the java-applet I used
> (http://www.rundumadum.at/test/globe/globetest.html). I also like your
> popup-windows with the thumbnails. Your map will be a great add-on to the
> wwp-event!

I've got to take a look at the geosphere applet, it's looking
great, too! Plus, it easily solved the problem with overlapping
coordinates "by design" - which my map does not handle well.

> Would like to be able to put your map on the globe like Shawn mentioned. Would
> also solve the problem with close targets. So, when there will be time, would be
> worth to have a look at that applet if its possible.

This would be great. Not sure how Java would handle this -
something like Zoomifyer in 3-D may be a solution. The
uncompressed globe picture is some 2.6 gigabytes (can't even be
saved in one piece in Photoshop... beyond 32000 pixels wide), so
it would have to be some tiled and on-demand-loading thing with
several layers of detail like zoomifyer does. Is there any way to
add hotspots to Zoomifyer? I remember highres panoramas in a
Zoomifyer/Quicktime combination, but i'm not sure how to handle
this with the "inside-sphere/outside-sphere" problem. A qtvr
object would be much too large, and VRML can't handle such large
maps...

By the way, I've looked through and converted most of the
coordinates on the WWP page (3/04 and part of 9/04 so far) into
decimal WGS84 already for easier calculation on my map, and if
anyone's interested in that data, just email me. No need for more
people to spend time on deg/min/sec to decimal conversion...

-Markus