Sender:Patrick Cheatham
Date/Time:2005-Dec-25 18:18:00
Subject:Re: Autorotate

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Autorotate Patrick Cheatham 2005-Dec-25 18:18:00
--- In #removed#, "Darin Williams-SpheronVR" <#removed#> wrote:

> Good point, Peter. I confess I don't know the answer to that.
> <snip>
>
> Darin Williams

Hi Darin, et al.:

Sorry I'm late to the party... Lively thread. :)

> Is there a sprite or whatever that would display a text in the image to let
> the user know they can interactively pan which goes away after panning once
> in the image?

Yes! If you look at the controller I created
(spinControl:VR, http://spincontrol.cheathamlane.net )
you'll see it displays text which directs the user to either use the controller _or_ to click-
and-drag on the QTVR. This text disappears after user interaction and/or after a few
seconds of inactivity.

For full explication on the why and how of spin:Control:VR, visit the Web site -- but two of
the chief reasons I created it are 1) Many, many people do not understand that QTVR is
interactive, and 2) to put autorotation and other functions _outside_ of the QTVR, so the
original QTVR file can be repurposed without being encumbered by sprites.

spinControl:VR is feature-filled, and many of the features can be turned off by the
developer, from page to page and VR to VR -- letting the developer choose how much
control to keep for herself or give to the user. My thinking is that, once a novice user
"gets" QTVR's interactivity, s/he will interact directly with the QTVR (thus sidestepping the
external controller).

(note: the controller in use by the WWP is specially modified for WWP use, and so may
appear different from that available at the spinControl:VR site)

--
Peter Winkler has emailed me off-list regarding the AutoSpin functionality (see his post in
this thread). Currently, spinControl:VR's speed-of-autospin can be set by the developer;

Happy holidays to all,

Patrick