Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2005-Dec-21 16:55:00
Subject:Re: Autorotate

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Autorotate Landis 2005-Dec-21 16:55:00
>>but I think that the majority of viewers (whom we address) are also
>>not involved with panos and so would fall into the category of
>>people who don't realize an auto-rotating pano is not a movie. This
>>is especially true when we consider that a
>
>But what makes you so sure, that a not rotating pano
>is not taken for an  image ?

This is something that I tend to hear quite a bit.  In fact I had an
email about a panorama I posted on the WWP.  They loved the photo and
wanted a print.  But they had NO idea that you could pan the image
around.  They just liked the opening shot!

On the other hand I tend to get quite annoyed when I'm panning
around, let go, and it immediately starts rotating again.  Or even
worse with the old RevolVR sprites when I would pan quickly to
another area and let go and the panorama would start spinning out of
control.

This is why I like the Autorotate-5-sec sprite by Steven Gulie.  It
allows someone to see that it IS possible to turn the image, but when
they do it themselves it gives them some time before it starts again.

I do NOT, however, like to use it on Fullscreen panoramas.  The
larger file size and display size tends to make it jumpy on my older
computer and it also takes a good deal of the processor bringing many
other processes to a crawl.

Just my personal observations on this topic.

-Landis