Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2006-Jul-13 11:59:00
Subject:Re: badge for participants

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: badge for participants Pat Swovelin 2006-Jul-13 11:59:00
Caroling Geary wrote:
> I could use a small badge to identify participation in WWP. If it is
> not rectangular, I would like it to have a transparent background so
> I could use it on a page of any color without modifying the badge
> background.

When using a GIF with a transparent BG you need to know the color of the
page/element it's going to lay over or you will have fringing around the
edge of the transparent area or a jagged transition area (if you don't
use a matte color).  For it to blend in correctly you need to use the
correct matte color in the GIF.

> That is, a round badge would look round. If the badge
> background is white, it stands out too much on a dark page. I like
> the size 128 x 128 pixels, which is the size of some Apple logo
> specification. It is big enough to have complex info but fits well
> with other items on a page. It would be good if the favicon echoed a
> part of the badge. I leave the design to the project managers who
> create the site. I thank them for doing such a good job. It is usable
> and attractive.
>
> Caroling Geary
> www.wholeo.net

Pat Swovelin