Sender:caroling
Date/Time:2008-Jun-05 04:43:00
Subject:Re: ZKM globorama hassle

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: ZKM globorama hassle caroling 2008-Jun-05 04:43:00
----------------------  Original Message:  ---------------------
From:    "Josh" <#removed#>
> I've heard about all this on May 29. And I have read a view
> messages today, including Don's and the reaction of ZKM. Now me, I
> wish to cooperate with ZKM - and not fight them!

Josh, I'd like you to read ALL the messages. I'm assuming that you meant you
have read a few messages today. That's not enough to get the full knowledge of
what had happened. For one thing, are you happy with spherical panoramas being
cropped to cylinders of 10:1 proportion? That means that just a slim strip
portion  of the image remains. Are you happy to have all the theme context and
the captions removed, with only a name retained? Are you happy to let people who
used images with specific one-time only rights granted be sued for violating
their contracts by allowing the images to be released into public domain. Is it
right for hundreds of panographers to lose all rights to their images and work?
If you read the archives from the start when we started getting letters from
ZKM, you will see that at first people had a reaction like yours, "Oh we are
getting noticed by a big art museum, how wonderful." Then gradually over time
you will see that people started realizing the specific violations of their
images, commercialization, and rights. The tone and content of the messages
reflects that awareness. A determination to protect ourselves evolves. People
want and need complete respect when dealing with an art museum such as ZKM.

--
Caroling, www.wholeo.net