Sender:Josh
Date/Time:2008-Jun-05 13:34:00
Subject:Re: ZKM globorama hassle

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: ZKM globorama hassle Josh 2008-Jun-05 13:34:00
--- In #removed#, caroling@... wrote:

> [...]

Caroling, I'd like you to put it all in the appropriate relation. Yes,
I have read more messages yesterday and today - and I am not sure if I
will go on reading. Not the parts, where some start to claim
exorbitant prices for a use of a picture.

Here in Germany I receive max 200 Euro for publishing in press. Even
in brochures they don't pay more. It is different, when used
commercially, i.e. advertising, image campaigns, etc. Then it is going
up to 2000 Euro. And in all cases I don't have much to say about how
they use my picture in scale or crop. My name is mostly told in the
imprint (not close to or in the picture).

Lately a US publisher asked me to use one my photos of Burj Dubai in a
book. What she offered me was no dollars, but 'immortality'. If I
started to argue about copyright, values and prices, she would have
taken another photo - as she can't afford it, to pay 200
photographers. I was proud to be asked and gave her the data. What
would you have done?

Is your daily situation so much different? Please describe.

ZKM has built up an experimental arts project. The project partners
have sponsors, there is money of course. But I guess there is no
budget for paying hundreds of panographers. If they knew in advance
that each use of a pano would cost them 400 - 1400 USD, they would
have gone another way: not presenting wwp panos.

What I want to say: if I decide to make a living on photography and
arts, I have to go ways that are not always commercial. Of course,
your way is your decision. But I am quite sure, that all of you have
taken pictures without payment or given them for publish with no invoice.