Sender:Don Bain
Date/Time:2009-Aug-30 19:59:00
Subject:Re: WWP Performing Arts - Written Permissions - Photo Releases

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: WWP Performing Arts - Written Permissions - Photo Releases Don Bain 2009-Aug-30 19:59:00
Well said, Dave!

Everyone be careful with these issues.

Ask permission first if at all possible. Low-level security staff
cannot usually grant this, and in my experience cannot be reasoned
with. In the case of performers you need permission for both the venue
and the person performing. Laws and the interpretation of those laws
is highly variable, a friendly and reasonable request may work better
than a self-righteous demand.

If you need to explain why you should be allowed to shoot be sure to
stress that the WWP is non-commercial. Commercial is different than
professional - you are not getting paid to take the pictures and the
WWP makes no money by publishing them.

Another angle is to promise them that they can use your pano to
promote themselves or the venue. They can link to the WWP site, and
you can promise them a mention and a link in the caption. Or you can
make a side deal and maybe even get paid for your work (which would of
course make it commercial - be consistent).

To look professional you should have a business card that lists your e-
mail and web site. Write "WorldWidePanorama.org" on the back. I
sometimes give out a dozen cards a day when I am shooting in public
places.

You can get model release forms at camera stores and try to get people
to sign them. But be careful, it could be better to assume tacit
agreement than to get an explicit refusal.

Dave is right - a tripod defines a professional photographer to many
people. There are also legitimate concerns about safety with tripods
in certain areas. Sometimes a monopod will be allowed where tripods
are not. Being inconspicuous while shooting has many advantages, one
of which is finessing the tripod issue. But I don't recommend sneaking
in a tripod when you know it is not allowed.

Don't be discouraged from participating in this event by these
considerations. I have shot all over half a continent and only needed
written permission four times (once for WWP "Marketplace"), had to
negotiate/educate/plead a few times, and been denied access very
seldom. But I have had to shoot without a tripod or monopod many
times, especially in churches and museums.

Don