Sender:Rolf Ris
Date/Time:2005-Mar-26 12:57:00
Subject:Re: i'm in! feedback please...

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: i'm in! feedback please... Rolf Ris 2005-Mar-26 12:57:00
Hi Hans
If I understand right, in CubicConverter we have to preset
the compression.
(Maybe my panos are also bigger than needed)

Which one is the 40%-standard?
In CC I find only  find the settings in words, like

QT-VR Panning quality for Motion - normal
QT-VR Panning quality for Static - high

There are some more settings.
Could you please explain, which settings are the best.
(high quality and small file sizes)

Thanks

Rolf

Am 26.03.2005 um 13:07 schrieb Hans Nyberg:

> On Mar 26, 2005, at 10:51 AM, pedro_silva58 wrote:
>
>>  both panos (small and fullscreen) are smaller than
>>  hans recommends in msg 3006 (simply because i made the panos before
>>  his msg), which helped cut down on size.?? also, since i don't have
>>  any software that makes the mov with different tile compressions, i
>>  gaussian blurred the sky prior to converting.? i didn't actually test
>>  the effect, but i'm sure it helped achieve a reasonable size.
>>

> Hi Pedro
>
> You can get this movie down to almost 1/3 in size if you use the
> optimal compression.
> This is your movie recompressed with the optimal compression
> http://www.panoramas.dk/quicktime/pedro.html
> Size is 672 kb - the compression was 40% in Mac CubicConverter
> your movie is 1.986 kb
> http://128.32.102.88:8090/gen/view/wwp305/html/PedroSilva.html
>
> As you say your panorama is smaller than my recommendations, only
> 900x900 pixels cubeface
> The problem is you use Panocube to make it and the compression in
> Panocube is very difficult to understand.
> It does not follow the standard used by Photoshop.
> In photoshop webexport 50% compression is a standard compression with a
> very good quality.
> It is the default setting in CubicConverter on Mac. All quicktime tools
> on mac use it as it use Quicktime for compression.
> Panocube use another scale in it's definitions. The default without
> script is 90% which is very little compression.
> The supplied script says 75
> As far as I remember 50 will give you a high compression corresponding
> to around 30% in Photoshop Web export.
>
> You have to do some experiments with it. I  guess something like a
> setting of 60-65 will produce the optimal compression similar to 40% on
> Mac. You should be able to produce a 700-800 kb movie from your
> 3600x1800 panorama.
>
> Hans
>

> Hans Nyberg
> commercial photographer