Sender:thinnairstudios
Date/Time:2005-Oct-03 17:11:00
Subject:Re: Image width / 96 and height

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Image width / 96 and height thinnairstudios 2005-Oct-03 17:11:00
Hi Eric,

Thanks for responding. I suspected the table was wrong after your
post. I started looking around and using various calculators and they
all give different answers at least for a 10.5mm lens. I then ran
into some serious math stuff and have been trying to fig it all out.
it appears that a lot of people have it all wrong for the Nikkor
10.5mm

I have never used panotools for stitching because I did not
understand all the aspects of using it. I use "panoweaver 4.0" and it
does not require any of this info nor does it give it.

However, I have been learning quite a bit in the last week and will
begin to try and use panotools.

I found this link that is a tutorial on panotools but it addresses
printable panos. A start at least. If you know of any tutorials on
panotools please post them.

Thanks for the formula. I decicded to fig it out for myself but was
not sure about the formulas. More work for me here. I haven't done
any calculus lately and have had to get out the old college books and
start reviewing some stuff.

Thanks for giving me the correct FOV values.

What do you mean "what does your stitcher say"???
I get a 3008x2000 image from the camera. Or 2000x3008 in verticle.
Mabey you mean the FOV I quoted "142". That appears to be wrong.

I have searched to find some official Nikon info on FOV and such but
can't find anything "official"

Any other help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Troy Ward

--- In #removed#, "Erik Krause" <#removed#> wrote:
> Am Sunday, October 02, 2005 um 3:44 schrieb thinnairstudios:
>
> > According to this table
> > http://www.acapixus.dk/photography/angle_of_view_15_crop.htm
>
> They write: "The exact AOV of the Nikkor 10.5 is also unknown, but
> for now a value of 180 degrees has been used for the calcolations"
> Not very reliable. They should have inform themselves first...
>
> > The 10.5mm has a horizontal angle of view of 142 deg and a
verticle
> > angle of view of 99 deg. That is at a 1.5x format.
>
> Panotools optimizer optimizes FoV for Nikkor 10.5 images in
portrait
> to 87? (landscape to 131?) for a full 360? shot.
>
> > I am shooting with the Nikon D70s.
>
> The D70 sensor is actually 15.7mm. If you consider the formulas on
> http://wiki.panotools.org/Fisheye_Projection (originally
> posted by Helmut Dersch) this is pretty near to the theoretical
> value: asin(R/2*f) gives 21.95? for theta/2 which is a FoV of
87.8?

> > The largest image I can shoot without going to raw is 3008x2000.
So in