Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-Jun-15 21:07:00
Subject:Re: My garden site

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: My garden site Roger Howard 2006-Jun-15 21:07:00
On Jun 15, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Robert C. Fisher wrote:

> Well that garden is no more, the police came in at 5AM Tuesday and
> arrested all who wouldn't go and bull dozed the farm. Scum-bag
> politicians and back room deals win again. The whole saga is a pretty
> interesting story. I had everyone I know call the mayors office to
> complain, but I don't think anything will come of it.

Well, yes and no. I was there for several hours last night - the
garden is at the moment fenced and withering in the hot sun. Lawyers
are arriving today to escort farmers to retrieve personal belongings,
etc, as necessary. There is another legal challenge, but I believe
the hearing is a month off and there's (to my knowledge) no
injunction preventing the developer from flattening the whole site
before then. The mayor has been supportive (more so than we usually
expect from politicians) and has in fact offered the entire
$16million asking price, which the developer is now rejecting as too
little, too late.

Anyway, I did shoot a few dozen panos last night, including a bunch
over the fences with my monopod. I'll be revisiting every few days
until the WWP event, and still hope to make it my subject for WWP.
It's an amazing site - 14 acres of beautiful gardens smack dab in the
middle of LA ghetto and trucking/rail yards. Driving in to the area
it smells of diesel and smog and the usual urban effluence, but once
you get to the site it's green and fresh (at least on that side of
the street!).

I'm upgrading my stitching machine at the moment but I hope to have
some first peeks at the panos from last night by later this afternoon.

PS, the action continues - while last night was largely a funeral
event, it's not gone yet.

PPS, the beautiful Daryl Hannah was there, no doubt stands out in at
least some of my panos though I didn't want to make her a prominent
feature of them (since by and large the members of the farm/gardens
are NOT 6 foot tall blonde goddesses).