Sender:Andrew
Date/Time:2004-Jun-26 16:46:00
Subject:Re: My WWP submission - Q: what about the colors?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: My WWP submission - Q: what about the colors? Andrew 2004-Jun-26 16:46:00
Great pano Bernhard! Just a pair of stitching errors in nadir I found ;-)

> The standard compression settings which are used by all other software
> besides PanoCube is
>
> Low 25% Medium 50% High 75%  Best 100%
>
> Low means low  quality, large compression.
> In Panocubes vokabular it means the opposite which for many is very
> confusing.

???
As I know PanoCube ( or to be more precise PanoTools ) use the same compression scale form 1 (worst quality, large compression) to 100 (best quality, low compression). But unlike "all other software" you mentioned above it gives to user 100 quality steps but not only four. You have more space to play. More over it could compress different tiles with own compresion rate. What's bad?

> > 6000x3000 input and a jpeg compression of (95 95 95 95 90 80) for the faces.
> That sounds very confusing to me.
> I downloaded the movie and checked it in CubicConverter.
> It detects  1500x1500 and compression low.

Perhaps your CubicConverter is bugged. I have checked all tiles with proffesional JPEG explorer tool and it says: 90% 90% 90% 90% 90% 80% (5 tiles with nearly "Best" compression and 1 tile with nearly "High" according to your prefered four steps quality system). Guess CubicConverter simply confused because of different tiles compression used.

> If I recompress it with a setting of  90% you get a movie size 4200 kb

As I wrote above Bernhard also used 90% and got only 2856 kb.

> If i use low 25% the size is 773 kb
> Medium 50% gives me a 1824 kb movie which is identical to your original
> which is 2730 kb
>
> To get your size have to use  around 65%

Interesting to see your samples ;-)

=Andrew Jakowleff