Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2004-Jun-26 09:42:00
Subject:Re: My WWP submission - Q: what about the colors?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: My WWP submission - Q: what about the colors? Hans Nyberg 2004-Jun-26 09:42:00
on 26/06/04 1:32, Bernhard Vogl #removed# wrote:

> Most cubicals are converted from a 4000x2000 equirectangular with PanoCube.
> Normally a jpeg-compression of max 75 turns out to be more than
> sufficient, wich gives me filesizes of max 1,4 MB.

The standard compression settings which are used by all other software
besides PanoCube is

Low 25% Medium 50% High 75%  Best 100%

Low means low  quality, large compression.
In Panocubes vokabular it means the opposite which for many is very
confusing.
Also in Photoshop you have a scale from Low to High or 1-12 where 1 is  the
lowest quality.

For fullscreen you can use 25-50% The larger  image the more compression you
can use.
The default  medium setting 50% will in most cases give you a movie with
very high quality.
You will usually not be able to see any artifacts at all.
Only if you have a very large color area like a blue sky you could get some
banding.

I usually use 1500x15000 cubefaces made from a 6000x3000 image and depending
on the image, a compression from 30-50%

> In this case settings are partly 'upgraded', e.g. the Mirror Room uses
> 6000x3000 input and a jpeg compression of (95 95 95 95 90 80) for the faces.
That sounds very confusing to me.
I downloaded the movie and checked it in CubicConverter.
It detects  1500x1500 and compression low.

If I recompress it with a setting of  90% you get a movie size 4200 kb
If i use low 25% the size is 773 kb
Medium 50% gives me a 1824 kb movie which is identical to your original
which is 2730 kb

To get your size have to use  around 65%

Hans

Hans Nyberg
commercial photographer
hans nyberg fotografi