Sender:Kathy Wheeler
Date/Time:2004-Jul-27 02:29:00
Subject:Re: Future of the World Wide Panorama - Part One

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Future of the World Wide Panorama - Part One Kathy Wheeler 2004-Jul-27 02:29:00
This is just brainstorming Don/Landis ... not meaning to step on
anyone's toes (yet ;-)

On 27/07/2004, at 12:00 PM, chris wrote:
> A few of thoughts:
>     * <> After I come back from SIGGRAPH I would like to work on
> parsing
>       the wwp data and linking it into out 3D planet-earth project.

GPS co-ordinates would be useful for this - as one of the database
fields. We could post enter them for panos that did not record the
exact spot - calculated estimates should do - we don't need 2m accuracy
;-)

> For my part I would like to link all this data to the planet-earth
> system.  I did a test run on geoURL - see images attached

Yahoo strips images (guess you've probably found that by now). URL
instead?

> As far as servers go we should consider some sort of distributed,
> cooperative cross-hosting.  I find it is better to have at least one
> server
> in the US and at least one in Oz (later some in EU probably) because of
> the lag of up to 580ms between west coast of Australia and somewhere in
> the US.

I generally find the lag is not too bad these days (and we're out in
the sticks! ). Average lag to one of our US servers only about 300ms. I
*think* for the moment a mirrored distributed server is getting a bit
ahead of ourselves, but I think that should be up to Don and Landis.

Cheers,
KathyW.