Sender:Yahoo Account
Date/Time:2009-Jul-03 08:55:00
Subject:Re: New Flash player

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: New Flash player Yahoo Account 2009-Jul-03 08:55:00
Hans,

I'm only mentioning the limit because, until the server has converted the raw equirectangular jpeg to the cube faces and the QTVRs, it will try the various possible file types until it finds an existing one, in this order:
1) qtvr (because it's single-file and easiest on the server, and it's tiled, so the size limit is circumvented)
2) jpeg cubefaces (causes six simultaneous requests instead of one, but faces usually won't break the size limit either.)
3) jpeg flat (i.e. a size-adapted sphere - not nice, distorts easily towards zenith/nadir, but better than nothing)
4) jpeg source (i.e. the originally uploaded file, - see #3, plus the size problem)

* So the first thing that will show after the upload is #4, and if it's too large, it'll fail. *

I'm going to add a notice to this fact if the JPEG is 8191+, which should help to avoid initial confusion ("it didn't work a few hours ago, but now it does?")
I might use a stand-in image that says "Thank you for providing a high resolution source. It is currently being processed. Please check back in a few hours to see the results."

Re: the previews from the QTVRs:
I'm not sure I understand this right - do you mean that they are "bad", as in, they should be larger/sharper? Or that it would be better to not use the previews at all? I think I could also use a flat-sphere single-file representation as fast-start preview, I'll look into that.

-Markus