Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2004-Aug-25 11:01:00
Subject:Re: Quick Time

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Quick Time Hans Nyberg 2004-Aug-25 11:01:00
on 25/08/04 12:41, Bostjan Burger #removed# wrote:

> I have used the www.nedstatbasic.net and a trial version of fastcounter [
> http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/online/fs/detail.mspx ] just
> to check hits not realy other diagnostic. I am otherwise very sceptical to
> such 'counters' but it is quite practical to see the trend of the number ob
> visitors...
> I had recommended the instalation of QT to educational institutions (mostly
> schools) here some years ago and the resoult of LO presence  was surely
> inaccurate....
>
> I find out that the main problem was with the instalation to PCs when the Win
> Media Player hijacked the QTVR and the display was blank... the solution for
> non techincal (home) user is not easy... very nice explanation can be found
> at: http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Info/Help.html

Yes the Nedstats is absolutely unuseable for detecting quicktime.
I believe it is based on some 7-8 years old functions which have no reality
at all today.

The Windows hijacking is not at all a problem today. It has not been since
more than 4 years.
It is not possible today.
Not if you use JPG for compression and the correct active X tags.

The old compression codec Cinepack which was used until JPG was introduced
for QTVR in 1998 could be hijacked  but JPG in movies is not possible in
WMP.

Hans Nyberg
commercial photographer
hans nyberg fotografi