Sender:Robert C. Fisher
Date/Time:2004-Sep-24 21:35:00
Subject:Re: stories, please

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: stories, please Robert C. Fisher 2004-Sep-24 21:35:00
Landis, Don
Maybe including our story of how your pano came about would be a good
addition to the photos. Adding a button  to go to the story, a behind
the scenes kind of look into the creative process kind of thing may add
a lot to the experience. Landis I think this could be added pretty
simply to the database so it wouldn't add a lot of work on your part.

What does anyone else think? I have really enjoyed reading the stories
here myself and I think the visitors to the WWP site would also enjoy
them. Especially in context with the panos.

On Sep 24, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Fulvio Senore wrote:

> Here's my story.
>
> I planned to shoot a viaduct of the mountain highway that crosses the
> Alps joining Italy and France through the Frejus Tunnel. It's a twin
> viaduct, very tall, rather long and the road bends too: very
> spectacular indeed.
>
> Last week I went there, I looked for good viewpoints and I found some
> good ones. Not easy to find since it is on the side of a mountain so I
> had to walk a little.
>
> So everything was ready for the shoot, I only had to wait for good
> weather: the forecasts said that the right day was tuesday (september
> 21).
>
> Last sunday (september 19) I went with my family to a mountain lake in
> a nearby valley. It's not far from my home, but I had never been there
> before since it's a small, steep and little known valley. I was
> driving along the road when my wife cried: "look at that bridge!":
> there was a narrow ancient bridge crossing the river and I did not see
> it since I was driving. It is a narrow bridge (a little more than 1
> meter), it looked very old and it was  nice and rather strange, paved
> with round stones and clearly designed only for people and animals (no
> carts since it is too narrow).
>
> I did not have a tripod with me and the light was not very good but I
> really liked the bridge so I shooted a pano handheld, just to see the
> result. Later I did some searches and discovered that it is a famous
> bridge: it was built in 1477 and it is a typical example of medieval
> bridge architecture.
>
> On tuesday I went to the viaduct and I shooted three panos from
> different viewpoints. I really like one, taken from a low viewpoint,
> where the viaduct shows almost abstract lines.
>
> In the meantime I stitched the medieval bridge pano and the result was
> better than I expected, so I started to think that I could send that
> pano to the WWP. I asked to my family and everybody agreed: the pano
> of the highway viaduct is a really good one, but that bridge could be
> everywhere. On the other side it seems that in Italy there are only
> three medieval bridges of that kind, so we decided to submit that
> pano: at least people around the world will see something different
> from what they can see near their homes.
>
> It's really curious like a casual family trip has led me to that
> bridge just in the right moment... and now I have all that viaduct
> panos and don't know what to do with them :-)
>
> Fulvio Senore

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
QTVR Photography/Cinematography