Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2004-Sep-24 21:54:00
Subject:Re: stories, please

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: stories, please Markus Altendorff 2004-Sep-24 21:54:00
Fulvio Senore wrote:

> It's really curious like a casual family trip has led me to
> that bridge just in the right moment... and now I have all
> that viaduct panos and don't know what to do with them :-)

Well, you could make some web page listing them and add that URL
to the "special section" of the WWP submit form? ;-)

Since we're sharing stories, here's mine:

It started on Saturday, when i drove to our local airfield with
the plan to take an half-hour flight around our district to shoot
some aerial photos which i could use as "map replacement" for my
web page. Well, all flight tours for that day were already
booked, so on to the nearby town's airfield - same there... in
retrospect, i guess this was the last summer-like day for the
year. So i had the camera, two sets of charged batteries and an
afternoon to spend...
The first "bridge" i shot was more of a tunnel, made from
corrugated sheet iron, obviously with the architect thinking
"let's make a tube and punch it through the ground right below
the street". It has an unusal look when unwrapped:
http://www.panoramas.de/panoramas/jpegXL/ambg059.jpg
However, i'm not sure if this qualifies as a "bridge".

(Tech note: all these panoramas will open facing 180 degrees from
the image center - not sure why MakeCubic has this odd setting of
starting at the seam of an equirectangular image, and i've not
written any html for it yet)

The next target was at the former Amberg castle, it's just a
plain road bridge, but with an additional pedestrian's bridge
(right word?) hanging from it:
http://www.panoramas.de/panoramas/jpegXL/ambg063.jpg
It's pulled up on weekends, because then there are boats with
tourists going up and down the river...
This felt so "postcardy" and the bridge itself takes a back seat
in the overall image that i'm not considering this one for the
WWP either.

And that was the Saturday. From then on, the weather went
downhill, so i did put any plans hold, hoping for better weather
before the 22nd. Of course, the weather did NOT improve.

On the 22nd, while driving to work around 8 a.m., i decided to
take the chance and shoot a bridge that's so unspectacular and
meaningless that you can't help but feel some pity ;-) so it's my
current WWP candidate:
http://www.panoramas.de/panoramas/jpegXL/ambg065.jpg
Not only is it barred, but also across a brook where you've got
to look hard for any water...

After work, i paid a visit to a larger bridge (three shots, not
stitched yet). The wind there was strong and quite chilling (OK,
so i'm a bit of a wuss ;-), but the outlook was pretty nice, and
had a bridge below the bridge in it.
Finished the tour with a panorama right below a highway bridge,
and finally an old wood bridge at Amberg (one shot near the
bridge, one with bracketed exposure on the bridge, almost at the
equinox time).
http://www.panoramas.de/panoramas/jpegXL/ambg066.jpg

It's at the times of worldwide panorama events that i notice how
incredibly boring my corner of the world really is...

Looking forward to seeing the other WWP entries:
Markus
http://www.panoramas.de/