Sender:mark1schuster
Date/Time:2005-Jan-21 19:07:00
Subject:Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public. mark1schuster 2005-Jan-21 19:07:00
--- In #removed#, Landis <#removed#> wrote:
> >With Jook's excellent TV spot VR and Pano's is really get some
> >mainstream attention, my personal guess is that we are going to
see a
> >lot more websites using it in the near future.
> >My question is what is it going to be know as by the general
public
> >and the media? Just VR? Or Pano? All-around?
> >
> >What do you think?
>

> VR Photography with two major subsets: VR Panoramas and VR Objects.
>
> The public already knows the term virtual tour, so this keeps us
in
> the same bit of vocabulary.  QuickTime VR being one of the first
and
> most widespread technologies really pushed that 'VR' term on us,
and
> I think it fits pretty well.

> I tried out 'Immersive Imagery' and 'Interactive Photography' for
> while, but it just never seemed to stick the way the terms VR
> Photography and VR Panoramas do.

Why? Just because Quicktime incorrectly addopted the term.  It's an
exageration.  Much as I admire the work of other members of this
group and their technical expertise (I wish I could do half as well)
it ain't virtual reality. As a child I watched a "3D" movie through
red and green glasses and went on a "virtual" big dipper ride.  It
was scary and made me flinch as it - I - dived towards the water.
That was virtual reality.  I suppose what an airline pilot
experiences on the deck of a flight simulator is virtual reality.
What I see on my VDU isn't virtual reality anymore than a landscape
hanging in the National Gallery.  Using an appropriate term doesn't
detract from either.

> Plus the uncorrected source image (seen outside a 'viewer') is
most
> definitely a Panorama.
>
> Which brings me to another little rule that I use.  A panorama
goes
> 360 degrees, a panoramic is less.

What about "Full Spherical Panorama", "Full cylindrical Panorama"
and "Partial ..." Yes I know spheres are often produced by cubes,
but the observer wouldn't notice the difference. - Anyhow,
isn't "panoramic" an adjective?

That's my tuppence worth.  Hope I didn't upset anyone, especially as
I am just a beginner. Please don't expel me!