Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2005-Jan-22 01:30:00
Subject:Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public. G. Donald Bain 2005-Jan-22 01:30:00
Thank you, Hans, this is very valuable information.

Hans is an expert on Google (and many other things related to VR,
photography, and the web). We should study these figures.

Some preliminary observations:

Hans is right, people in general have no idea what to call "prostorska
slika" (as we say in Slovenian). There are more than a dozen commonly
used terms, but often people can only describe it - "pictures on the
screen, you can spin them around". This is too bad. It would be a lot
easier if there was one simple word that everybody understood, like
"porn".

So we need to do two things. First and most practically, we have to
figure out which terms currently work best, and use them. Second, we
need to play an active role in creating a widely recognized term.

 From Hans' statistics we can see that Apple did well with both "QTVR"
and just the "VR" part of QTVR. When a site uses QTVR (for example the
WWP, panoramas.dk, FullScreenQTVR, Virtual Guidebooks, VirtualParks and
many more) this will certainly be useful. I believe QTVR will remain
the dominant technology for quite a while. But we still need a more
inclusive term.

"VR" in various contexts is good, "panoramas" alone and in context is
also good. So "VR panoramas" is very good. A Google search on "vr
panoramas" brings up Hans first and second, the World Wide Panorama
third and fourth, then EuroVR (another QTVR site), and Kaidan, Ken
Turkowski, Apple QTVRAS, and Mickael Therer's Armistice Day project,
all on the first page.

To me that's a very strong association with "prostorska slika". I'm
just upset my site doesn't rank higher on that search - but I do better
with "virtual reality panoramas" (3 and 4, after Hans 1 and 2) and
"panorama" (7).

So what do we do about this in the long run? I think we should all try
to use the same small group of terms. Hans finds that VR photography is
a dud. But it is useful as an overall term, to cover both panoramas and
objects - as in IVRPA.

My recommendation is we should all use the terms "VR panorama" / "VR
panoramas", if what we are doing is  "prostorska slika". No matter that
it is QuickTime, Java, javascript, Flash, or Shockwave. Not whether it
is standalone panoramas or multi-node virtual tours, or panoramas in
elaborate pages with maps and rollovers and sound. We should use
whatever other keywords are appropriate, but always be sure VR
panorama(s) is there too.

If we all do this, the public will gradually come to recognize it. That
"picture on the screen, you can spin it around" - oh yes, that's a VR
panorama. They will Google it, and find what they want.

One other important item. Note how well Hans' panoramas have done by
subject, people looking for Everest and New Year's Eve and Times
Square. I am always surprised how sloppy web sites are about
identifying their subjects and places, frequently not even identifying
the country. A panorama of a real place should always have a complete
and accurate geographic description, and list the key terms in the
meta-data also.

Thanks for listening,
Don