Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2005-Jan-21 03:42:00
Subject:Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public. Roger Howard 2005-Jan-21 03:42:00
On Jan 20, 2005, at 7:03 PM, tflyfish2002 wrote:

> With Jook's excellent TV spot VR and Pano's is really get some
> mainstream attention, my personal guess is that we are going to see a
> lot more websites using it in the near future.
> My question is what is it going to be know as by the general public
> and the media? Just VR? Or Pano? All-around?

This is something that's been an ongoing topic of discussion throughout
the VR world... IQTVRA/IVRPA has certainly had an interest in this too.
Likewise, when I worked at a large commercial VR studio, we cycled
through a number of marketing-friendly names for interactive panoramas
- in fact, in my current employment at a major fine arts museum with
huge photographic holdings, I try to always avoid using the word
panorama at all - as it always conjures the wrong mental picture in
folks with interest in classical photography/panography.

I've heard these and many more:

VR - I don't like this term, but I eventually got used to it and
probably use it myself... but it's not what I originally thought of as
VR.
Bubbles, photobubbles
Photospheres
Spins
Panos, panoramas
360's
etc etc

None very good, very memorable, or obvious enough.