Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2005-Jan-21 15:57:00
Subject:Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: What is VR going to be called by the General Public. G. Donald Bain 2005-Jan-21 15:57:00
Good question. The way it is now, how do you search for this type of
media on Google? Too many possibilities. Most people who have seen it
don't know how to ask for more.

One of our goals for the World Wide Panorama is to set an example of
standard terminology, to get thousands of links on the search engines
all with the same terms.

The terms we favor are: VR photography, VR panorama, and VR object,
along with virtual reality photography.

The IQTVRA (International QuickTime VR Association) has changed its
name to IVRPA (International VR Photography Association). Hans Nyberg's
panoramas.dk site uses the terms VR photography, VR photographers, and
virtual reality photography. Scott Highton's site is vrphotography.com,
which he spells out Virtual Reality Photography. Erik Goetze's VRLog
blog site uses photographic virtual reality.

So it seems there is a convergence on these terms. The IVRPA board of
directors debated this at length. Some strongly favor terms such as
virtual tour and immersive imagery, which is fine, as long as everyone
also uses VR photography/VR panorama/VR object etc.

The main objection to VR photography is possible confusion with the
sort of virtual reality with goggles and gloves. For this reason we
decided to use "VR" instead of spelling it out "virtual reality", and
to always pair it with another word, as in "VR panoramas". With
constant use acronyms like this take on a meaning of their own.
Everyone knows what DNA is, but how often do you think of it as
desoxyribonucleic acid?

i will be writing to this list again soon about what we can all do to
promote VR photography, and one of the things I will stress is standard
terminology.

Don
G. Donald Bain
Geography Computing Facility