Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2005-Mar-26 21:14:00
Subject:Re: Moire effect

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Moire effect Markus Altendorff 2005-Mar-26 21:14:00
Bostjan Burger wrote:

> I was underground in Tuesday on 15th March, finishing the last part of
> my over one year lasting project [
> http://www.burger.si/QTVR/Jame/Krizna_PisaniRov/uvod_ENG.html ] and my
> camera D2H decided to get some 'diving' ;)
>
> ... so I shot the pano for this event with the test camera Nikon D2H
> with the 10.5 mm Nikkor lense. I discovered in Sunday evening during
> the stichin process that photos have kind of Moire effect and the
> stiched pano too [
> http://128.32.102.88:8090/gen/view/wwp305/html/BostjanBurger.html ]. I
> have noticed the Moire only on the sky...
> Is it posible that the Moire was caused by the lense and Camera
> combination? Or the fault was with my selection of Adobe RGB mode on
> camera...
> Some personal experience with the Moire?

As others have written, i'm also not sure that this is a
Moir? pattern. It could be some JPEG banding (not very
likely), or the effect of some post-production work (esp.
using the curves or levels in Photoshop which typically
introduces "steps" in areas of smooth gradients on 8bit
images). Since the color temperature selections or RGB modes
in the camera (or all color profiles, for that matter) are
similar to these curves, they could very well introduce the
banding effect.

I've also noticed some blurry / "double exposure" blending
areas, esp. in the floor details - maybe the lens correction
isn't 100%, or the entrance pupil is a bit off?

So far, the only "real" moir? i've encountered in a panorama
was with Stitcher 4 and the new interpolation options
(anything of the "Lanczos" method caused a moire that seemed
to happen between the residue of the CCD pattern in the
image and the Lanczos interpolator).

Maybe adding some noise in the uniform areas could "hide"
the banding effect in your image?

-Markus