Sender:Mahmood Rashid
Date/Time:2005-Oct-08 15:50:00
Subject:Re: devalVR option?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: devalVR option? Mahmood Rashid 2005-Oct-08 15:50:00
Can we upload QuickTime 6.5 on our servers so the user's can download from our servers.

Rana
Dubai, UAE

Hans Nyberg <#removed#> wrote:

On 6/10-2005, at 11.33, jeffrey wrote:

> Now that devalVR has a very decent 206k QTVR plugin, would it be
> possible for users to have the choice of downloading this plugin? I
> would imagine there are others like me, with a crappy gsm (or dialup)
> connection, where a 32mb download is just never going to happen.
>
> example of html code:
> http://www.devalvr.com/instalacion/htmlcode.txt (replacing the
> filename).
>
> Install the plugin here: http://ww.devalvr.com/install
> The player: http://www.devalvr.com/descargas/dps/player.zip
>
> I'm happy that his guy has given us a choice for playing our qtvr's,
> it's just a question of whether it's possible to easily implement it
> in an existing website.....

I am afraid alternative plugins will never support QTVR fully.
I have not tested this one yet on a  PC but have followed some of the
discussions.

To be able to use it together with Quicktime it has to support not just
simple QTVR movies.
It has to support all types of tiles and faststart, both cylindric and
cubic,
it should support sprites for auto rotation and logos (also in flash.)
What about sound does it support sound in the VR or external.
Does it support communication between movies like the Spincontrol

What about hotspots?
What about object movies?
Does it support other codecs than jpg.
Sorenson Video 3 is used by many as you can get 10-20% smaller size
with same quality.

The page above you link to is set up with 100% width width no tofit tag.
It does not work for Quicktime. I only see it in small size while I
suppose it should be fullscreen.
There is no Quicktime clsid or codebase

To be frank. There is NO WAY you can put the features of Quicktime into
a 200 kb plugin

The dealvr website  FAQ does not work (inappropiate javascripting - bad
web work) and there is no information at all about the plugin.

As for the 32 mb download you can just send people to the standalone
6.5.2 installer. It is still 12mb

Hans

Hans Nyberg
commercial photographer