Sender:tflyfish2002
Date/Time:2005-Oct-06 19:10:00
Subject:Re: devalVR option?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: devalVR option? tflyfish2002 2005-Oct-06 19:10:00
If you do not use Active X then for the same reasons you do not use
Java. In which case you will never be able to see a Pano unless you
install QuickTime.  Fortunately not every one else is like you.
Please do not take offence, I feel the same way although I download
most active x controls and let my spyware and anti-virus system
protect me.

Barry
--- In #removed#, Thomas Mottl <#removed#> wrote:
> I am against it!
> Why?
> 1. The plug in did not install on my PC, get an error message that
it
> is no win32 application, get a warning message that it is not
digital
> signed and so suspicious also I never use Active X, for security
> reasons.
> 2. You want that there is a entire 2nd site for the devalvr ACTIVE
> plug in or
> 3. You want that in the future only Windows users have access to
the
> WWP if you are denying point 2
> 4. If 2 is true than why not a entire extra site for the pangea
plug
> in, for flash, for java for..you name it?
> also I deeply believe, that when somebody is interested in the
> project he will download Quicktime as he will also look at the
> fullscreen pictures, so I am happy as it is now.
> My 2 cents
> Thomas
>

> On 06.10.2005, at 11:33, jeffrey wrote:
>

> > On the subject of the "disaster" 32mb quicktime/itunes
download....

> [...]
implement it
> > in an existing website.....
> >
> > jeff
> >

> > On 6 Oct 2005 08:11:24 -0000, #removed#
> > <#removed#> wrote:
> >

> >> There are 15 messages in this issue.
> >>
> >> Topics in this digest:
> >>
> >>       1. Re: WWP Feature Request: Localization
> >>            From: "christian stehle" <#removed#>
> >>       2. Re: WWP Feature Request: Localization
> >>            From: Hans Nyberg <#removed#>
> >>       3. Re: optimal viewer size
> >>            From: Richard Crowest <#removed#>
> >>       4. Re: Inside a Telescope
> >>            From: "christian stehle" <#removed#>
> >>       5. Re: Inside a Telescope
> >>            From: "gerardoant" <#removed#>
> >>       6. Re: Inside a Telescope; plus: please check my
contribution
> >>            From: "Richard Crowest" <#removed#>
> >>       7. Password Retrival
> >>            From: "Bo" <#removed#>
> >>       8. Re: Inside a Telescope
> >>            From: Bernhard Vogl <#removed#>
> >>       9. back again
> >>            From: G. Donald Bain <#removed#>
> >>      10. Re: WWP Feature Request: Localization
> >>            From: yuval levy <#removed#>
> >>      11. Re: WWP Feature Request: Localization
> >>            From: Uri Cogan <#removed#>
> >>      12. Re: WWP Feature Request: Localization
> >>            From: Hans Nyberg <#removed#>
> >>      13. Re: Inside a Telescope
> >>            From: "gerardoant" <#removed#>
> >>      14. Best of?
> >>            From: "northwest_omnipresence"
> >> <#removed#>
> >>      15. Re: Best of?
> >>            From: Thomas Mottl <#removed#>

> >> ___

> >> ___
> >>
> >> Message: 1
> >>    Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:48:39 -0000
> >>    From: "christian stehle" <#removed#>
> >> Subject: Re: WWP Feature Request: Localization
> >>
> >> no.. I think it could be improved to become a true global
experience.

> >> I think that everybody should have the option to have their
own
> >> profile
> >> and image description in their own native language.
> >>
> >> And provide a download link of Quicktime to apple's localized
> >> download
> >> pages (could be implemented to the current localized wwp pages
very
> >> fast I think), like
> >>
> >> http://www.apple.com/de/quicktime/download/ (German)
> >> http://www.apple.com/fr/quicktime/download/ (French)
> >> http://www.apple.com/es/quicktime/download/ (Spanish)
> >>

> >> Christian

> >> ___

> >> ___
> >>
> >> Message: 2
> >>    Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:20:43 +0200
> >>    From: Hans Nyberg <#removed#>
> >> Subject: Re: WWP Feature Request: Localization

> >> Only the french download page is in French.
> >> Just the headline is in German and Spanish
> >>
> >> Same for the standalone player.
> >>
> >> I could perhaps see an idea in it if we had a lot of japanese
viewers
> >> I believe french and japanese are the only download pages which

QTVR
> >> email:  #removed#

> >> ___

> >> ___
> >>
> >> Message: 3
> >>    Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:35:03 +0100
> >>    From: Richard Crowest <#removed#>
> >> Subject: Re: optimal viewer size
> >>
> >> Like Bruce, I've been following the debate about resolution
and
> >> viewer size
> >> with interest, but also with a bit of confusion. Troy, I have
> >> suspicion
> >> that what you're striving for is something that you can't
actually
> >> achieve.
> >> I'll explain why I think that, but there are many people on
the
> >> list who
> >> know a darn site more about this whole subject than I do, so
> >> please correct
> >> any mistakes or invalid assumptions I make.

> >> From my point of view, I think you're looking at this problem
back
> >> to front.
> >> For example, if I print a digital photo, I don't start by
thinking
> >> "how big
> >> do I need to print this to reproduce every pixel in the image
file?".
> >> Instead, I think "how high do I need the resolution of the
image
> >> file to be
> >> to print a good quality image at the size I want?". With
> >> panoramas, what I
> >> want to achieve is a high-quality rendering of the panorama at
the
> >> field of
> >> view that gives a pleasing framing of the image and at the
window
> >> size I'm
> >> trying to achieve.
> >>
> >> In both these cases, it's surely always best to start with as
much
> >> resolution as (a) your equipment will produce and (b) you can
process
> >> without causing your computer to grind to an inelegant halt.
> >>
> >> Bear in mind that, when viewing a panorama, the original image
has
> >> already
> >> been through a minimum of two remappings (three if you're using
> >> cubic QTVR
> >> projection):
> >>
> >> 1) The original photo is remapped to remove the lens
distortion
> >> and enable
> >> it to be stitched into a cylindrical or equirectangular image.
> >>
> >> 2) The cylinder (or equirectangular image in PTViewer, for
> >> example) is
> >> projected onto a virtual 3-D cylinder (or sphere) within the
frame
> >> of the
> >> viewer.
> >>
> >> 3) If you use cubic QTVR, the equirectangular image is first
> >> remapped onto
> >> the six cube faces, and these images are mapped onto a virtual
3-D
> >> cube in
> >> the viewer. (It would be possible to avoid this extra step if
you
> >> could
> >> shoot two 180-degree fisheye images perfectly in line, then
> >> process them
> >> with Ken Turkowski's DeFish and join the sides together, but
alas
> >> I haven't
> >> found a pano head that's up to that job yet...)
> >>
> >> All of these remappings involve interpolation (by which I mean
> >> changing the
> >> pixel map such that some of the new pixels will be based on an
> >> average of
> >> some of the old ones). The original pixels you shot with your
> >> digital camera
> >> never make it to the viewer window.
> >>
> >> Now, think about looking at a cylindrical QTVR. The part in
the
> >> centre of
> >> the frame is parallel to you, so if the viewer was displaying
the
> >> same
> >> angular resolution as the cylindrical image, you would indeed
have
> >> a 1:1
> >> pixel ratio in the very centre of the viewer. But as you move
> >> towards the
> >> edges, the cylinder is curving around you, so you're
effectively
> >> looking at
> >> the image at an angle. There's remapping and interpolation
going
> >> on, though
> >> you're not aware of it. The only way to avoid this is to turn
off
> >> the QTVR
> >> correction, in which case you lose any sense of space, and
you're
> >> just
> >> scrolling a flat photograph behind the viewer frame.
> >>
> >> It's even easier to envisage the situation with a cubic QTVR.
If

http://www.worldserver.com/turk/quicktimevr/panores.html#PanoRes

> >> I notice you put the word "optimum" in inverted commas. Would I
be
> >> right in
> >> thinking that you mean the optimum balance between image
quality
> >> and file
> >> size - i.e. a view that presents all the detail available in
the
> >> source
> >> image, but if you were to zoom in you'd force the QTVR system
> >> interpolate
> >> pixels that aren't there in the original? In other words, you
can
> >> use this
> >> calculator to choose the maximum window size or minimum FOV for
your
> >> panorama that will make use of the image data you have
available.

> >> What I'm getting at in all this is that I've never created a
QTVR

wrote:

> >> Amazing. Quite apart from the quality of the photography,
there's
> >> that
> >> tantalizing "how did he do that" aspect to the whole thing. How
did
> >> you light it, Gerardo?
> >>
> >> I love the metalwork - despite the high-tech CCDs, the battered
metal
> >> gives it the air of something from a 1950s sci-fi movie.
> >>
> >> I've finalised my contribution now - if anyone has a chance to
> >> look at
> >> it, could they confirm that the sound is working for them?
There are