Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2004-Oct-19 22:32:00
Subject:Re: Full Screen on digital projector??

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Full Screen on digital projector?? Markus Altendorff 2004-Oct-19 22:32:00
G. Donald Bain wrote:

> We use a projector with a resolution of 1024 by 768. No problem with
> flicker. The image is a bit jerky, but no more so than on a computer
> monitor.

This is what impressed me most about the Spi-V engine that was
presented on the QTVR mailing list a few weeks ago. It uses
OpenGL where available, and lets panoramas move as smooth as the
graphics card allows - *way* above what Quicktime can do with its
software-render approach. Kind of like the difference between the
"Ken Burns" moving pictures effect of the OS X screensaver (very
smooth) and the iMovie tool (stutter, interpolation artefacts
etc.) It does not (yet?) anti-alias the picture, however, so the
stills don't look as good as with Quicktime.

> Color is lousy - all the projectors are made with PowerPoint type
> graphics in mind, and are poor for continuous tone images. Fiddling
> with the color controls helps, up to a point. Be wary of long cable
> runs, signal attenuation can cause colors to shift, or not work at all.

Maybe setting up a separete colorsync profile for the projector
could help - i've never tried that before. Just a suggestion.

> My full screen size versions are more than adequate for projector
> resolution. I use QPict as slide show software. I would like to be able
> to script a series of panos with custom rotations and dissolves between
> them. But, despite repeated enquiries, and assurances that it can be
> done, I have not yet found a satisfactory solution for this.

I've managed to hack a browser solution with javascript that
reads the pan/tilt/fov values from an embedded QT movie every
thenth of a second and displays it in a form field. Haven't
managed to do it the other way (i.e. to set these values). Of
course, it doesn't work the same way in Mozilla and IE (moz. can
talk to an <embed> object, but not to an <object> object, and
IE/Windows vice versa). And, of course, Safari (which does the
best job of smooth panning on Mac) does it in yet another way
(which i haven't found so far), and IE on Mac doesn't allow for
Plugin-to-Javascript communication at all.

Wasn't LiveStage able to do something like this? There was a demo
of a temple that moved the camera along a path in real time by
using a sprite or wired action or something...

-Markus